2019 — A Year in Review
2019 in Review + 2020 Goals
- 🏡 Location — Live in Australia, Sydney (July — October in Melbourne)
- 👩❤️👨 Girlfriend — Gabrielle Bleakley (5Y anniversary in July 2019), M&A lawyer
- 🧳 Work — Startmate, startup accelerator which invests in and helps 10–15 startups grow twice a year
- ✈️ Travel — Fly every 2–4 weeks to Melbourne, 2x 1-week trips to San Francisco (April / October)
- 🚴♂️ Sports — Triathlons
- 📺 Hobbies — Anime (One Piece, Boku No Hero Academy)
- 🚶♂️ Things I do — Read, Write
Update vs Last Year
- 👩💻 Gabby left Clayton Utz joined Corrs
- 🧑💻 I stepped up from Head of Ops to CEO of Startmate
- 🚴♂️ Hardly any Volleyball, but lots of Triathlon training
Family & Friends
A notable difference to last year is that I’ve leaned into better updating my family and friends. It gives me lots of energy and is paying off in closer relationships.
- Calling my family every Sunday
- Monthly email wrap up about Good, Bad and Uglies in my life
- Annual (and more often) catch-ups with my closest friends
- Elephants group with my closest friends
- Booking out time for weekends away (more below #social)
Health & Sports
My goal was to finish a Triathlon this year and train 4x a week.
Stuck pretty religiously to the 4x week training routine.
Stark drop-off post-Half-Ironman in mid-Nov.
Instead of one triathlon finished a Sprint and Olympic triathlon and topped it off by a Half-Ironman in 6 hours (1.9km swim, 90km cycle, 21km run).
Bucket list item done, but wouldn’t do it again - training takes way too long ☠️
A big year for Startmate —more detail here:
- People: Sascha joined 🙌, extended an offer last week to our newest member 🤞, I stepped up from Head of Ops to CEO
- Accelerator: SYD19, MEL19 and SYD20 climate cohort announcement
- Fellowship: 2 cohorts of 16 fellows
Lost my book reading routine when I moved to Melbourne halfway through the year. Would love to pick it up again, on the other hand, I’m enjoying reading longer blog posts and online articles.
Favourite Read: Courage to be Disliked
Started out with a big goal. I realised after a while that quality was more important to me than quantity. Problem with that was that I then almost completely stopped writing 😣
Another realisation was that producing anything including content without distribution doesn’t make sense — so started to engage and build an audience via Twitter. The more I engaged the more followers.
Didn’t track this as strictly as the above — but had some sort of presentation or panel roughly every other week.
Lots of good stuff here. It was a real priority in 2019 to spend lots of quality time with Gabby and friends.
Barossa Valley, Hunter Valley, Japan Trip, Blue Mountains, Weiheke Island, Boomerang Beach, Newcastle
🐄 Stopped buying and ordering beef and drinking milk since Jan 2019, because of the environmental impact of cows. Easy, small change.
My goals for 2019 are here and below:
- Pay it Forward
- 12 public speaking engagements
DONE — paying it forward every day at Startmate :) still core to the job ++ lots of public speaking
- Finish a Triathlon
DONE — finished 3x incl Half Ironman
- Find a non-sports related hobby
- 4x go deep in an industry/area and blog about it
PARTIALLY DONE — drawing class for 3 months, but didn’t blog enough
2020 will be a big year of travel for me → SYD, MEL, AKL, SF, Poland and Canada. My focus will be on still spending enough time with Gabby and empowering the Startmate team to work in an environment they love.
- Build a great team culture
- Spend quality time with Gabby
- Explore my personal brand